Dalymount Park, Dublin, Ireland

posted in: Foreign, Stadiums | 0

Dalymount Park, Phibsborough-Dublin 7

Construction: 1901 (expaned and renovated in 1907, 1927, 1999)

Architect: Unknown

Nickname: Dalyer

Clubs: Bohemian FC (1901-…), Shamrock Rovers FC (2005), Dublin City (2006)

Opened: 07/09/1901 Bohemian FC – Shelbourne FC 4-2

Capacity: 45.000 (max.) – Current: 7.955 zitplaatsen

Record Attendance: 48.000

  • 19/05/1957: Rep. Ireland – England 1-1
  • 25/09/1957: Shamrock Rovers FC – Manchester Utd. FC 0-6

Notable Games:

  • 1904-1913 5 interlands Ireland
  • 1924-1990 79 interlands Rep. Ireland
  • 1903-1911 6x finale Irish Cup + 2 replays
  • 1922-1925 4x finale Irish Free State Cup + 1 replay
  • 1958-2010 Europese games Bohemian FC, Shamrock Rovers FC, Drogheda Utd. FC and Sporting Fingal

Other notable events:

  • Concerts of a.o. Bob Marley, The Clash, Faith No More, Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Thin Lizzy, The Boomtown Rats, Red Hot Chili Peppers…
“Home of Irish Football”, among football lovers this is how Dalymount Park in the 7th District of the Irish capital Dublinis respectfully called. On september 7 1901 the first game at the current location in Phibsborough was played. Over 5,000 spectators witnessed that day the 4-2 victory by Bohemians against city rival Shelbourne FC. Dalymount Park in those early days was still rather a “ground” than a “stadium”. Although the first real stands only arose during the season 1907-1908 Dalymount Park was already in 1903 the stage for the Irish Cup Final between Bohemian FC and Distillery FC from Belfast. One year later, on 26 april 1904, the locals turned out in force for the first in a series of more than 80 football games. Ireland drew 1-1 with the neighbors from Scotland.

Twenty years after the
construction of the first covered grandstand, Dalymount underwent a thorough facelift during the 1927-1928 season. The stadium was expanded and the old wooden main stand was replaced by a new stand with steel frame. In addition to the new covered main stand with 1,500 places three more uncovered terraces offered space for another 40,000 spectators. The “School end”, the terrace behind one of the goals was partly covered in 1945. That same year as many as 41,238 spectators attended the final of the FAI Cup between arch rivals Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers. An unsurpassed attendance for the final game of the Irish Football Cup. Twelve years later the stadium the attendance record was broken twice. On 19 May 1957 48,000 enthusiastic spectators were present for the always loaded match between the Republic of Ireland and England. Several months later, on september 25th, the European Cup football club tournament duel between Shamrock Rovers and Manchester United attracted a similar mass in the direction of Dalyer.
Dalymount Park was for many years the home of the Irish national football team. But after in 1985, during the visit of reigning world champion Italy, it was judged as “unsafe”, the stadium capacity was reduced by half to about 22,000. After the “Boys in Green” finally had found a new permanent home in the national rugby Stadium Lansdowne Road, the Home of Irish Football lost” in 1990 finally its status as international stadium. On 12 september 1990, the Irish closed a nostalgic chapter with a friendly 1-0 win against Morocco. Not only did the national team move towards Lansdowne Road but with the exception of some editions in the mid-1990s the other side of the River Liffey would henceforth also host the final of the National Cup.
Dalymount Park got its current look around the turn of the century. In 1999 the old main stand was replaced by the new, 2,742 seats counting “Jodi Stand”. The stand opposite the main stand, Connaught Street, was partly demolished. The other half was provided with 3,720 red seats. 1,485 red seats were also added to the “Des Kelly Carpets Stand” at the “School End”. The outdoor terrace at the “Tramway End” was closed for the public. The floodlights, that give the stadium its nostalgic appearance, date from 1962. The almost 8,000 seats in the stadium are more than enough to cover the average attendance of 2,500 spectators at the home games of Bohemian FC.
In 2006 Dalymount Park got news coverage in the Irish national press when a real estate company wanted to buy it and tear it down. The stadium had to give way to a residential new construction project in conjunction with the expansion of the shopping centre. In return, the club was promised a new stadium with 10,000 seats in the periphery of the city in Diswellstown. These plans were scrapped but in 2015 the Dublin City Council bought Dalymount and ended the lease of Shelbourne at Tolka Park with the hopes of demolishing Dalymount in phases and rebuilding a new stadium at on the same spot which would be ground-shared by both clubs.

 

Sources:

www.sportingsights.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalymount_Park

The Supporters’ Guide to Eircom FAI Clubs 2005. uitg. Soccer Books