Architect: Georg Demmler (D)
Capacity: 60.100 (max.) – currently: 5.100
10/05/1930 Germany – England 3-3 (friendly)
24/06/1934 FC Schalke 04 – 1. FC Nürnberg 2-1 (Final German Championship)
21/06/1936 1. FC Nürnberg – Fortuna Düsseldorf 2-1 a.e. (Final German Championship)
07/08/1936 Germany – Norway 0-2 (Olympic Football Tournament)
Other sporting events:
- 07/07/1935 Boxing Match Max Schmeling (D) – Paolino Uzcudun (E)
- The Olympic football match on August 7, 1936 between Germany and Norway is the only football match ever attended by Adolf Hitler. When Germany was trailing 0-2 and any chance of a medal was lost an unhappy Führer left the stadium early.
The Post Stadium in Berlin-Moabit was built between 1926 and 1929 for the Post SV Berlin, the Sports Association connected with the Reichspostverwaltung. The stadium‘s architect was Georg Demmler, a former athlete who himself had excelled in various sports. The sports complex that arose on the former training areas of the Prussian Garde-Ulanen contained next to the stadium with 35,000 places also 10 tennis fields, 4 soccer fields, an indoor swimming and an outdoor swimming pool. During a two-day spectacle with sport and culture the accommodations were officially inaugurated on 28 and 29 May 1929 .
During the 1920s and 30s, the stadium often became the scene of major national and international football matches. Among other things, the finals of the German Football Championship in 1934 and 1936 were played here as well as some international games of the Mannschaft. In addition to Post SV Berlin many Berlin football clubs used the stadium as a fixed or as an occasional player. Not only the well-known football clubs such as Hertha BSC and Tennis Borussia Berlin but also smaller clubs as Union Oberschöneweide, Berliner SV 92, Blau-Weiß 90 and BSC Kickers 1900.
The attendance record of the stadium in Berlin-Moabit was established on 7 August 1936. That day about 55,000 people filled the stadium for the Olympic Football match between host nation Germany and Norway. Germany lost 0-2 and saw its chances of winning an Olympic medal go up in smoke. Witness of the defeat was Adolf Hitler and being a poor loser he left the stadium early. It would be the first and only football match ever attended by the Führer.
During the second world war, in 1944 to be precise, the stadium was severely damaged by incendiary bombs. Immediately after the war, in 1946, the restoration of the roof on the main stand commenced. In the decades after the war the stadium was primarily used for football matches. When Hertha BSC relegated into the Oberliga (level 3) in the mid 80s they moved it to the now dilapidated Post Stadium. Later in the 80s when the club was in the 2nd Bundesliga and public interest was waning, she moved to the stadium in Moabit. Despite being placed on the protected list in 1990 the beautiful main stand decayed even further while the uncovered stands were overrun with weeds.
Following a project in 2003 where unemployed young people would sanitize the stadium a new era began for the complex. In 2005, a synthetic running track around the playing field was laid out while while opposite the main stand 2.200 seats were installed on an uncovered grandstand. They were the first steps to make the stadium with a reduced capacity of 10,000 places viable again for football on Regionalliga level.
A few years later Tennis Borussia Berlin considered a return to the stadium in which it had played its home games between 1924 and 1931. The ambitious building plans for a stadium with 16,000 places in which the old protected main stand would be integrated, came from the drawing boards of the architectural firm of Albert Speer Jr., the son of Hitler’s architect Albert Speer. But the club went financially bust and the construction plans ended up in the rubbish bin along with the ambitions of Tennis Borussia .
In addition to fixed occupants SC Union 06 Berlin and Berlin AK 07 today about 200 schools and associations from Berlin make use of the sports complex. The complete restoration of the protected main stand is almost complete. Behind one of the two goals the re–construction of an outdoor terrace started as well. The entire complex now covers 5 football fields and in addition 1 futsalveld next to the stadium with artificial grass, 2 running tracks, 1 indoor sports hall, 1 roller skate ring and 1 rowing simulation hall.
Deutschlands größte Stadionruine . in “Das Grosse Buch der deutschen Fussball-Stadien. SKRETNY Werner