Club: Marl Sly Dogs (Baseball), former stadium of TSV Marl-Hüls
Constructed: 1924-1927, expanded 1948-1949, main stand 1962-1964
Attendance record: 18.000 TSV Marl-Hüls – Wuppertaler SV (1960)
1984 Pop Festival Marl (Headliners The Cure)
Number 33 on Germany’s largest stadiums list
Nowadays the Jahnstadion is only used by the baseball players of the Marl Sly Dogs but once grand plans were forged here. TSV Marl-Hüls, founded in 1912, began with the construction of this stadium in 1924 and it was finally opened in 1927. Marl played in the Landesliga Westfalen and aspired more. With an eye on promotion to the new Oberligas the stadium was expanded in 1948.
It would take until 1954 however before TSV could actually deliver Oberliga football to its fans. The club became German amateur champion after a resounding 6-1 victory against SpVvg. 03 Neu-Isenburg and promoted to the 2. Oberliga West. The club still showed ambition and in 1960 they managed to gain access to the elite class in the Oberliga West
In 1962 the club decided to invest further in the stadium and the construction of the striking main stand was started. That stand opened in 1964 with TSV in a completely new situation. In 1963 the German Football Association reformed the German league system and the Bundesliga was set up. TSV Marl finished last in the last season of the Oberliga and would go down to the Regionalliga West.
It means the end of the ambitions at the club, after 3 years the club relegates from the Regionalliga to the amateur divisions and despite a slight revival in 1974 (vice-amateur champion of Germany) the club slips further and further down the rungs of the football league.
This also spells the end for the Jahnstadion. The stadium never attracted the expected attendance and the city refuses to spend money renovating the now dilapidated main stand. City Hall wants to use the existing grounds for homes and TSV is forced to move to the much smaller Loekampstadion. In 2016, however, the demolition plans are not yet in progress and the baseballers of the Marl Sly Dogs still make use of the field and a small part of the uncovered stands.