Dreef, Opstal

posted in: East Flanders, Stadiums | 0

The birth of football club Eendracht Opstal was in 1953 in Opstal, a municipality of Buggenhout in East Flanders. When the club joined the Belgian FA two years later they were given matriculation 5681. For years the yellow and blacks would move between the two lowest divisions within East Flanders. Only in 1992 Eendracht made it to the 2nd provincial division where it was crowned champion in 1998. After the promotion to the highest provincial division Opstal would end up in the top 5 for 5 consecutive years yet failed to make it to the national divisions. That would happen in 2002-2003 when they won the play-offs and finally made their way into the national divisions. Eendracht Opstal would play for 6 seasons in the 4th national division but in the spring of 2009 they were again relegated to the 1st Provincial division of East Flanders. On the 1st of July 2005 they received their royal title and are now known as Koninklijke Eendracht Opstal.

The stadium at the “Dreef” is typical for clubs with the history of Eendracht Opstal.

There’s a small seating stand along the length of the field. The almost inevitable club canteen has covered stands underneath and in front of it for the home crowd. Between this and the main stand 2 stacked containers are functioning as a control center.

On the opposite side of the pitch a small covered standing area is mainly used by opposition fans. In one of the corners a simple electronic scoreboard is still proving its value.