Club: Ferencváros Torna Club Budapest
Capacity: 18.100 seats
Opened: May 19 1974
Foundedon 3 may1899by gin producerDr.FerencSpringerin the 9thdistrict of Budapest – also known as “Franzen”district due to the German bourgeoisie that lived there– asFerencvárosTornaClubBudapest.The clubcolors weretheGreen and whiteof the Hungarianflag.Although the flag also contains red it was not considered for the club.Redwas the colorof the workers andFTCwasabove all a middle classclub. The 5 greenand4 whitevertical linesin the coat of armsrefer tothe district wheretheclubstillplaysitshome games.
AlthoughFerencváros,afterrelegating in2006,has only been back at thehighestlevel since 2009,the clubiswithout a doubt the mostsuccessful footballclub inHungary.FTCwon 29 Hungarian Championships and 22 Hungarian Cups. Internationally Green-White won theMitropaCupin 1928 and1937.In1965the club won their biggest prize to date withthe Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.Duringthe 1995-96 season Ferencvárosplacedthemselves at the expense ofRSC Anderlechtforthe Champions Leaguegroup phase.
As a clubwith“German” rootsand thearch-enemy ofthe Jewish-linkedMTKBudapest,the club morphed duringthe second WorldWar into thefavoriteclubof the HungarianNazis.Even today a large part of the fans areextreme right-wing.
At the current location, right above the Népligetmetro stop, construction of afootball stadium startedin 1910. “Stadium Ülloi ut”, named after the main road that runs along the Northern stand, was opened on 12 February 1911 for around 20,000 spectators. Fueled bytheir rivalrywith MTKBudapestthe stadium wasexpandedseveral timesover the years.The, in 1924, by architectAladárMattyók designed main stand was16metres high andwasno less than134metreslong.
The stadiumalso served as the home stadium for theHungariannational teambutthe fire thatdestroyedthemain standin1927was the beginning ofa long painful roadfor“Ülloiut“.In1935theotherstand had its roof ripped of by a squall.During the second worldwar,the stadium was severely damaged andthecollapseof part of thestandduring amatch againstAustriain1947ledthe beginning of the endfor thestadium of the“Fan“.Afterinternational gamesin 1952wereno longer playedin the 9thdistrict,the stadium wasfinally closed 9years later.
TheFerencvárosTornaClubwouldhave to spend11 years inexileas afterthe demolition ofthe old stadium the construction of a new club house only started in 1972.It was thenanother 2year waitbefore theby architectsJózsefSchall and MiklósKapszadesignedmain standwas readyandgreen-white could finally return to their home in 1974. The new stadium had a capacity of 28,000.
Since 2007the stadium was officially called“StadionAlbertFlórián“. Albert,bornin 1941,was an attacker whomade history as one of themost elegantfootball playersthatEuropehas ever known.He wasnamedEuropean Footballer of the year in1967, twoyears after hehad conqueredthe Inter-Cities Fairs Cupwith his club.
The stadium became an all-seater with 18,000 seats before being demolished in 2013 so the new Groupama Arena could be build.